Tourism is essential to Nova Scotia’s economic success. Prior to COVID-19, the tourism sector saw record growth and our Province was attracting tourism from many parts of the world.
We must support this essential sector through COVID-19 and ensure there is a return to the sector being a booming part of our overall economy. Tourism operators bring new dollars into the Province. This infusion of spending has further positive impacts across other sectors of our economy as well.
As Premier, I am committed to:
Matching Advertising Dollars from Tourism Operators
Our government will match the advertising investments of tourism operators through TIANS. This will help speed up the COVID-19 recovery and connect more new tourists with operators across Nova Scotia.
Maintain the Tourism Rebate on Commercial Property Tax
Maintain the commercial property tax tourism rebate for an extra year. This will help tourism operators lower expenses in this time of crisis.
A New Innovative Marketing Fund
Funding innovative ways of marketing the province both externally and internally through TIANS. This includes a new marketing program for the fast-growing staycation segment.
Strategic Tourism Infrastructure Fund
We will invest and enhance our Nova Scotia attractions which will be a further draw to new tourists. This includes:
- Extend shoulder seasons to move towards year-round tourism
- Target eco-tourism development
- Connect our snowmobile network into New Brunswick
- Connect our trails systems in Nova Scotia
- Accelerate the enhance of the Seawall trail
- Enhance Beaubassin, an important Acadian settlement, and tie in the Chignecto Ship Railway
- We will showcase Cape Breton Island, recently named Travel and Leisure’s number one island in Canada
- Further promote our world class wine tours, and further market our shoreline attractions